Monday, June 18, 2012

My CSA Started!

This year my parents purchased a CSA for us to split. They bought a 10lb meat CSA and a small family portion vegetable CSA. The vegetables started last Monday, the meat begins today.

For those of you who don't know what a CSA is: it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically you pay a local farm $X in the winter and over the summer months they give you a box of food every week. By paying them in the winter they have the resources ahead of time to plant and prepare to make you your food. But its a bit of a gamble, what if April and May have tons of rain and all the seedlings drown, you get less food, but you still paid $X. Of course, since you paid that money ahead of time the farm benefits and can survive the bad season.
The upside of this gamble for the consumer--other than supporting local farms, which is ALWAYS an upside--is that if there is good weather, or even passable weather, you get lots of vegetables, fresh and locally grown all summer long!
This is a picture of the first week's takings.
It was a big ole box of leafy greens, a half dozen eggs and a plant. (Al will not be surprised to learn that I chose Lavender, Knowledge will be surprised to learn that I have not killed it yet... but that one I bought while she was visiting is dead).
I gave half the leafys to mom and dad (the half I couldn't identify) and kept the eggs, the plant, the white radishes, and the boston and romaine lettuce.

That night I had a boston lettuce salad with radishes and a fried egg with some crumbled goat cheese. It was FANTASTIC. I ended up having that same salad with boston or romaine lettuce for the next two nights.
This is pretty impressive because normally Tallman and I NEVER eat salad.

This CSA will be worth it because Tallman and my salad intake is increasing!  (my parents have been making the greens into smoothies, and salads, and sautes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment