Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Review: Day After Night

I love Anita Diamant. I've read almost all of her books, and I especially enjoy her books on Judaism, she writes in a very approachable way that is scholarly, practical, and touching. I've had Day After Night on my queue of books to read for some time now, and I am so glad I finally got a chance to read it.

I love books about World War II, it was an extremely difficult time for many people, and in many different ways. Some shockingly horrible, some just plain terrible, and some a level of bad that they had not experienced. Perhaps it is particularly interesting because of the atrocities that are recent enough to be relate-able and happening in places I have been. But they are not so recent as to raise my ire of why are these things still happening.

Day After Night is about Jewish refuges in Palestine. It takes place in a refuge camp run by the British. It is a good story. Its also about a time that many books don't focus on, what happened after the war ended. I recommend this book if you've read The Secret Key or Those Who Saved Us. This is not nearly as tear jerking, but has interesting insights on how people deal with overwhelming grief and guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment