Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake *Spoiler Alert*

Since finals ended I've been doing a lot of reading. One day I spent in the library reading with the old people while I waited for Tallman to finish work. Its been very nice having the time to read whatever I want. Unfortunately I've read some books that I didn't like all that much.
Today you'll hear about The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender. I read it because I like cake. No joke. Oh well, that's what I get for judging a book by my fondness for cake.
The story is told in a first person-esque style where there are conversations but never any quotation marks. I'll give the author credit though, I would have though that this style would've made the book difficult to follow, and maybe it would've been if I hadn't read it all in one day/sitting.
The narrator is a young girl who discovers she can taste emotion in food. Baked goods really carry the emotions of the person who cooked them, but even the act of picking an apple from a tree imparts an emotion that the narrator can taste. This is the backdrop for the more normal story of a mother who has an affair and a father who is indifferent. Until her brother turns into a chair.
Yes, I just spoiled the ending. But man, I do not recommend this book, so I don't feel at all bad about it. Unless you want to read an incredibly emotional tale told in the oddest, and an almost detached, way, do not read this book. It is weird, and not in a good way. And really, has very little to do with cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment