Monday, August 29, 2011

Compostable Partyware

I want to compost. Trash bothers me, the amount of it we produce, how much we could eliminate. When Tallman uses paper towels to dry something instead of a regular cloth towel it rubs me the wrong way, like a cat being pet wrong, or like he is trying to be wasteful on purpose (I know he isn't but it just feels so wrong). With all the environmental problems it seems that wasting less is something we could easily tackle.
But I admit sometimes paper napkins make more sense, and paper plates, etc. But wouldn't it be great if instead of throwing them away to be put in a landfill or burned we could compost them. NOW WE CAN!
What? Yes.
Wasara Sample Kit
Wasara Compostables are something I found out about on Branch Home, a sustainable living website. They're by a Japanese Company and they come in all shapes and sizes, specifically designed to be easily held, like you would at a barbecue or something.
Veneerware Party Kit
Then there are bamboo plates and cups, which can also be composted. They also sell recycled paper napkins. Anything made out of bamboo gets me a little excited, not just because bamboo is pretty but it grows so fast and its really strong and super sustainable.

So next time you're having a party, maybe skip styrofoam and instead get something that will rot after a few months in the ground. Sure it might be more expensive, but isn't the planet worth spending a little more for? I don't know about you but I don't mind the slightly more expensive Target instead of supporting Wal-Mart who barely pays their employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment