Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Book Review: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress

This was another impulse pick up at the library. I was walking out with another book and saw Mennonite in a Little Black Dress sitting there and I grabbed it. I think I remember hearing about it a few years ago, or reading  review. No idea, but I saw it, I recalled it, I grabbed it, and then I read it.
Good story, I know.
But Mennonite in a Little Black Dress actually is a good story. I found myself reading odd passages aloud to Tallman, laughing to myself at the way she worded things, and staying up late one night last weekend reading until I fell asleep with the light on.

Basically this is the story of a woman who grew up as a Mennonite (who are NOT the Amish, which is what I originally thought) but distanced herself from faith in general as an adult. She is writing this book from the interesting perspective of getting back on her feet. She suffers an accident, a divorce, and a horrendous medical procedure (not in that order) and spends some time visiting friends and family afterward. These visits are the backdrop for the story telling.

Its definitely a light read, but ultimately interesting, if a little slow in parts. But we'll forgive her because she is an english professor who is the daughter of a theologian, it is probably her natural inclination to have her mind wander down random philosophical paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment