Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Review: Commencement

I don't remember where I heard about Commencement, and I'm pretty sure I heard about Maine first. But I decided to read J Courtney Sullivan's books in the order she wrote them and started with Commencement.

I really enjoyed Commencement, and not just for the obvious reasons. The most obvious reason is that it is well written chick lit, that is light to read and enjoyable. The second most obvious reason is that it is about four friends who met at Smith College in Northampton MA.  I went to a similar women's college just over the mountains from Smith and I could easily identify with a lot of the women's college jokes, arguments, friendships, fights and descriptions of Northampton locations.

I think that the best part of the book, though, is the fact that it is surprising, and goes a little bit beyond your average chick lit. The arguments about feminism are sound, and well thought out, and are similar to arguments I've had in classes, with friends, or in my head. Also, the story goes somewhere you'd never expect, or at least I didn't.

If you are familiar with the pioneer valley, read this book. If you went to a women's college, read this book. If you like feminism, read this book. If you want to read something slightly better than the average summer chick lit, read this book.

I recommend it, not because it was the best book I've ever read, but because it was very enjoyable, and sometimes that is all you need from a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment