Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book Review: The Book of Tomorrow

I was running into the library while Tallman got us our morning Starbucks and I picked up this book because it was the first inviting book I saw. Which is oddly similar to what the main character of the story does in The Book of Tomorrow in which a girls life is turned upside down and then she finds a book that tells her what will happen that day.

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern, was amazing. Truly gripping, and I read it in a day. Also, I feel like its the sort of book I wouldn't mind reading over and over.

It is set in modern day Ireland, post Celtic Tiger and the main character's father has just killed himself because of a development bubble bursting and being on the brink of bankruptcy. Upon his death the girl (she is really a teenager, but for so much of the book she acts like a petulant child, the word girl seems appropriate) and her mother move in with their uncle in rural Ireland. This turns the girls life upside down and she is quite displeased, her mother is deeply depressed and there seem to be secrets all around her. The book is her unraveling those secrets, growing up in a short period of time, and did I mention she finds a diary that tells her what is going to happen that day. Pretty cool.

I don't know if this is the BEST book I've read in a while, because The Distant Hours and The Girls from Ames were both amazing, but this book was engaging, light in places and deeply enjoyable. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment