Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book Review: Violets of March

I had a very relaxing weekend this weekend. I did almost nothing, except read. I read 3, maybe 4 romance novels (yeah I read romance novels, so what?) went shopping for a bridal shower, got stuck in rush hour traffic and read an actual book (I read romance novels, but I recognize they are not really books, this makes me not a sad sack).
The real book I read is called Violets of March by Sarah Jio. I recommend it as a summery fun read. (I read it in a couple hours, but I read very quickly, my mother is convinced that I don't read all the words, she might be right). Its about a New York City woman who has just gotten divorced and goes to an island to find herself. If that makes the book sound trite or like something you've read or seen, its not. She goes to an Island in Seattle to visit her aunt and while she is there she meets men, and discovers a 50 year old mystery about her family.
The book is very well written, and though its not very deep thematically, I wasn't sure how the mystery was going to unravel until the very end. The story kept me engaged, and interested, and not just because of the descriptions of gardens (of which there are many and they play very little part in the story but I enjoyed them).
I'd recommend this book to women, who have a few hours to kill, and want to read a story with romance and heartbreak but something better than one of those "Something Borrowed" books.

No comments:

Post a Comment