Thursday, April 14, 2011

Jane Eyre: Spoiler Alert.

Did I tell you all that a few weeks ago Al and I went to go see Jane Eyre?
Well we did.
Jane Eyre is my favorite book. I could read it over and over and over again. And I have. I love the love story. No one has ever loved Jane Eyre, no one has ever been nice to her, then she gets a job and her employer is a bit of a weirdo but she loves him. And look at that he loves her. Then whabam! shit goes down, crazy lady in the attic, Jane runs away to a super nice family and she gets a fresh start with people loving her for being her. But she always loves Mr. Rochester, and can't bear to marry someone else, even for her own convenience (because it is inconvenient to be a woman sometimes). So she goes back to him, she has to. And she finds him a broken man, who she brings back to health and they marry and fall in love and live happily ever after.

Really is there a better story? The answer is no. (Also I'm sorry if I just spoiled the plot of Jane Eyre for you, if you're over 15. If you're not then its what you deserve for not having read the best book ever. Go read it before I judge you.)

Anywhoo, I consider myself to be a pretty good judge of when they turn a book into a movie were they true to the book and is the movie decent on its own. For this version of Jane Eyre the answer is emphatically yes. It was EXCELLENT. You felt Jane's pain, then her hopes, and then her deep melancholy and resignation. I don't know how to explain how amazing of a job they did. With the book you cry with her, because she has a crap life for a while and you cry with her when it gets better, and the same is true for the movie. You wince when she winces, you are happy for her when she is happy, forgetting almost what you know is about to come and shatter it!
I'm not even being coherent - this movie was such a good adaptation of the book.
Go watch it, go read it... really just go :p

No comments:

Post a Comment