Monday, March 7, 2011

Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers

First off, let me say that I got this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, it is the best recipe website ever, the author is super hilarious and awesome and I'm sure she is very pretty as well.
There, now no one can get mad and accuse me of stealing.

Here is the Whole Wheat Goldfish Cracker recipe that she posted. I love the little faces!!
I'm not sure what possessed me to do this, but I saw it and immediately knew I HAD TO TRY IT!

So today, I tried it and THEY ARE SOOOO DELICIOUS! I LOVE THE FISHES! Or in my case stars, because I didn't have the patience to go find a tiny goldfish, I just bought a tin of small cookie cutters and stars seemed the nicest.

I made another few other than stars for fishes, I used an Irish Kerry cheddar that was white, so my crackers don't have the orangey hue. My thinking on the cheese is that the nicer the cheddar the nicer the cracker.

It took all of 10 minutes to grate and put the dough together and the rolling out and cutting out process was pretty simple, the dough held together very well. Caveat about the dough, the onion powder is very strong in the dough but the baking brings out the flavor of the cheddar and you can barely taste the onion anymore, interesting, also I'm glad they taste more like cheddar than onion powder.

Here is a photo journey of the process:
 First I cut out the stars from the dough, I made them slightly thicker than commercial goldfish, I do not think this is a bad thing but it makes them slightly more like cheese straws and slightly less like the commercial goldfish.
 This is them pre-baking on the tray. STARS ARE CUTE!

 Here you can see them post baking and how adorable and golden they look.
It yielded two very full 2 cup pyrexes, and I think my family and TallMan wishes there were more, I had to remind them we were about to have dinner and sneak the stars away to prevent their entire consumption. Even without the orange cheddar the stars have a great color and taste AMAZINGLY GOOD!

Try making them for yourself, you will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment